Ok so I just got the app downloaded and installed and have been looking through it. Ugh. I am seriously disappointed. There really just isn’t a lot in there. I really, really hope they are planning to make regular expansions or switch the stuff out if that’s all they are going to offer at one time. This probably isn’t like the most organized post I’ve ever made, but here are some points.
- The selection of comics is way smaller than I thought it would be.
- At the top of the comic list page it says,” The full DC Comics digital library will be available for purchase in October.” — PURCHASE? WTF? That really annoyed me. I’m pretty sure now that there will not be any sizable amount of readable comics available.
- A lot of the comics available to read are just a few of the first issues. I’m pretty sure all they want to do is sell you the rest of the storylines. NOT COOL — and a lot of that stuff is probably free to read on Comixology already.
- I think I counted 23 movies. Mostly animated. Live action are the 4 older Superman Movies.
- 9 TV Series. Mostly really old ones.
- 12 animated series.
That new content can’t come quick enough if they plan of keeping this afloat and they really need to add more diverse catalog of available comics with consecutive runs available to read. Frankly if I hadn’t paid for a year’s sub I would just sign up for a month after the new shows air and just binge watch them. I don’t think it’s enough content for the price. What do you guys think?
Update: Ok, after going out of the app and going back into it to read something else. I’m seeing a lot more comics than I was originally seeing. That’s good, I guess maybe that means that they are sill adding stuff to the app or maybe it’s got a few bugs to work out. I’m seeing some older titles that I’ve never read, I feel a bit better about it now. Because at first I was only seeing like maybe 100 comics total and I was upset.
While I was out buying meat for my 4th of July cookout [It was delicious! Hope you had a lovely 4th as well!]; I saw these 100 page giants at my local Walmart. I thought at first that these were some one shots but after taking a better look I think these are going to have more than just a #1 issue. They all have 3 reprint issues and one 12 page original story in them. It’s kinda anybody’s guess when or if these are intended to be part of the main continuity.
The Batman Giant had reprints of Batman #608, Nightwing #1, and Harley Quinn #1. The original story is titled One More Chance, and seems to be a two part story. It’s about Batman tring to track down a missing child that’s been kidnapped. Appears to be a fairly typical Batman story.
The Justice League of America Giant has reprints of Justice League #1, The Flash #1, and Aquaman #1. The original story is Wonder Woman The Conversion. Featuring Steve Trevor and Ares, while Wonder Woman tries to save some girls on their way to a humanitarian aid conference. This story wasn’t particularly good or bad. I don’t know if it’s a lead in to the next issue or not.
The Superman Giant had reprints of Superman/Batman #1, Green Lantern #1, and The Terrifics #1. The original story is Superman Endurance and seems to be a two part story. I actually liked this story the best but I don’t know if I could really tell you why. The set up is that Clark is sent out to write a report on why people who live in areas typically hit by tornadoes don’t just move somewhere else.
The Teen Titans Giant had reprints of Teen Titans #1, Super Sons #1, and Sideways #1. The original story is titled Enter… The Disruptor! They manages to pack a lot into a few pages with this one.
I’m hoping I’m able to pick up the second issues when they come out… I’m seeing some disheartening reports of scalpers moving in on these; and that they have fairly low print runs; and aren’t even available at all stores. Hope my friends out there were able to get them if you wanted them.
There’s an awesome deal from Humble Bundle this week. The DC Comics in GraphicAudio bundle. If you buy the top tier of this deal you can get 22 audio books for as little as $15. That’s basically 22 books for the price of 1. The deal is good for 2 weeks so don’t miss out on this one.
PAY $1 OR MORE TO ALSO UNLOCK!
Green Lantern: Hero’s Quest
Wayne of Gotham
Batman: The Stone King
Green Lantern: Sleepers (Book One)
PAY $8 OR MORE TO ALSO UNLOCK!
DC Universe: Last Sons
The Flash: Stop Motion
Wonder Woman: Mythos
Green Lantern: Sleepers (Book Two)
Infinite Crisis (1 of 2)
Infinite Crisis (2 of 2)
PAY $15 OR MORE TO ALSO UNLOCK!
DC Universe: Trail of Time
Batman: Dead Whit
Enemies and Allies
Superman: The Never-Ending Battle
Green Lantern: Sleepers (Book Three)
52 (1 of 2)
52 (2 of 2)
So, Dark Nights Metal started months ago and is wrapping up in March of this year. Are you guys reading? I’m perpetually behind myself. I thought it was a good enough place as any to start my blogging efforts again tho. This event is ending with the launch of DC’s New Age of Heroes; the first book Damage #1 came out this week. [I plan on giving all of the new #1s a review so that’s comming soon.]
Anyway back to the subject of Dark Nights Metal. The story started with two prologue one-shots, Dark Days: The Forge and Dark Days: The Casting. These were billed as optional but in my opinion they are pretty core to understanding the set up of the story and you probably would want to have them both. There’s all sorts of stuff in there like Mr. Terrific, Mr. Miracle, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, and the list goes on. It’s a very intriguing introduction into into a twisted tale of the Dark Multiverse.
Oh, and it has Batman in it. You know, Batman doing Batmanish things like knowing that there is a new “Crisis” on the horizon and just investigating it by himself. And then you know the Justice League finds out about it and chases him around while trying to get a strait answer out of him. In short it’s pretty fun.
The trade these two books will see their reprint in is already solicited for a May 2018 release date. It will be called DARK DAYS: THE ROAD TO METAL and will also contain material from quite a few other books.
What I’m wondering is what books did you go in for? Just the mini series? Everything? Picky choosy? I will probably end up with everything because I’m reading most of the books that the tie ins are in anyway…
Thanks for reading. I’m going to try to get back into the habit of trying to write at least a little something everyday and hopefully I’ll have something more to talk about in my next post.
Late getting my comics this week, cause I’m broke at the moment. Also, still a bit behind on reading my comics and having to look at reducing my monthly pulls for a little while. Being an adult is such a bummer sometimes, with all those bothersome little things like keeping a roof over your head, and wheels on your Jeep. Sigh.
Now I’m trying to access which titles I’m currently reading that will likely cost me the least amount of money as back issues… or which comics I just have to have right away… or… I really find it hard to decide. Anyway here were the books I had put on my pull list for this week:
Pulled [Books I preordered.]:
- Aquaman #15 [This came to a pretty good stopping point. Also, some of the facial art is a bit awkward looking.]
- Batman #15 [Honestly never been much of Catwoman fan but just love Tom King’s writing so much. Feel like the art style really worked well in this issue.]
- Green Arrow #15 [Good stuff. Awesome page layouts and dynamic action scenes.]
- Green Lanterns #15 [A little bit after school special-ish but still really ended up liking it.]
- Justice League Of America The Ray Rebirth #1 [Well told, it caught my interest and made me want to know more about the character.]
- Nightwing #13 [Eeehhh… can’t really pin down how I feel about this story.]
- Superman #15 [From the pages of Multiversity…!]
Passed On [Books I had no interest in.]:
- Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye #4
- Harley Quinn #12
- Justice League Vs Suicide Squad #5 (of 6)
- Kamandi Challenge Special #1
- Suicide Squad Most Wanted El Diablo And Amanda Waller #6 (of 6)
- Super Powers #3 (of 6)
To the Back Issue List [Books I wanted but I had to draw the line somewhere. I’ll buy you when I have some extra cash, promise!]:
- He-Man Thundercats #4 (of 6)
- Justice League #13
- Raven #5 (of 6)
- Trinity #5
The town near us just got a store called Five Below put in. I had never heard of this chain prior to this but it’s one of those price point stores where everything in it is between $1 -$5. I was shocked to see the amount of nerd/geek/fanish type shirts they had in the place. I got these five shirts, all priced $5 each there yesterday. They had a pretty good selection overall of Marvel and DC merchandise like comic grab bags, water bottles, keychains, blind bag figures, action figures, and the like, as well. It looked like the turnover on goods were pretty fast so I will probably make checking in there a regular thing that I do.
I’ve been so busy I didn’t have anytime to post the last couple of weeks but hopefully I’ll be able to get back on track this week as I gradually get my new schedule strait. I’m even a little behind on reading my comics so I’m picking back up with the issues that came out on 8/10/2016…
Wonder Woman #4 – The Retelling is going strong.
The Flintstones #2 – Dark and yet cute at the same time.
The Flash #4 – I’m kind of afraid of getting too attached to all of these new speedsters… although I’m liking most of them. Just hope Godspeed isn’t…
Superwoman #1 – Well. That was crazy. Must know what happens next.
Red Hood and the Outlaws #1 – Pretty good with an interesting cliffhanger.
New Super-Man #2 – Still not feeling this one.
Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #2 – Pretty interesting.
Detective Comics #938 – Ok, but I’m way more interested in Red Robin than Batwoman.
Deathstroke: Rebirth #1 – I usually don’t do villain stories but this was pretty good.
All-Star Batman #1 – Eehh… I’m not sure about this; the dialog feels really off to me. It just doesn’t feel like Batman’s voice.
Action Comics #961 – This story just keeps on getting better. I’m really enjoying it.
And rating them in the order that I like them is always hard but I settled on:
- Superwoman #1
- Action Comics #961
- Wonder Woman #4
- The Flash #4
- The Flintstones #2
- Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #2
- Detective Comics #938
- Red Hood and the Outlaws #1
- Deathstroke: Rebirth #1
- All-Star Batman #1
- New Super-Man #2
Now I just really need to get caught up to this week’s issues before wednesday gets here….
Wednesday is the best day of the week! It looks like I won’t be getting anything but DC books for the foreseeable future… I can’t commit to putting anything else on pulls at the moment. This week I got:
- Nightwing Rebirth #1 – 100% Loved it.
- The Flash #2 – Ok, that was a strange turn of events but I’m into it.
- Wonder Woman #2 – Enjoying this even though it’s yet another origin retelling.
- Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps Rebirth #1 – Ummm… I feel a bit lost with this one. I just haven’t read many Green Lantern books the last 5 years or so… Looks promising but I may need to invest in back issues.
- New Super-Man #1 – 😦 Had no real expectations for this but ended up not liking it much.
- Detective Comics #936 – So/So stuff. Moderately interesting but I don’t like Batwoman.
- Action Comics #959 – Wow! Now that was action packed. Some really nice page layouts too.
- Wacky Raceland #2 – Ugg. Dick’s story was… upsetting. Do not like.
Now getting down to actually ranking them in the order that I enjoyed them this week; it was easy to pick the top and the bottom book but a lot harder to decide on the others.
Natalie’s Comic Rankings for 7/13/2016
- Nightwing Rebirth #1
- Action Comics #959
- Wonder Woman #2
- The Flash #2
- Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps Rebirth #1
- Detective Comics #936
- New Super-Man #1
- Wacky Raceland #2
8 Books this week! Yay, DC Comics! In the order that I liked them…
Natalie’s Comic Rankings for 7/06/2016
- Future Quest #2
- Batman #2
- Superman #2
- Green Arrow #2
- Justice League Rebirth #1
- Green Lanterns #2
- The Flintstones #1
- Aquaman #2
And the briefest of thoughts about each book:
- Ok, Flintstones #1 — Not what I was expecting I guess; it’s sorta dark, but I still liked it. I just expected something a little lighter.
- Batman #2 was really intriguing – Gotham and Gotham Girl, could they be Kryptonians?Maybe the old Nightwing and Flamebird? Just one of several possibilities at this point. Starting to lead into the upcoming Monster Men crossover.
- Future Quest #2 is moving along at a fast pace, but it feels so short. I need more of this one.
- Green Lanterns #2 was pretty good. I’m digging the personal aspects of this more than the Red Lantern stuff that’s going on.
- Superman #2 continues the Son of Superman story. I liked it.
- Justice League Rebirth #1 – Kind of sets of the tone on the team at the moment with the addition of the two new Green Lanterns and how everyone feels about the Superman situation.
- Aquaman #2 was ok but still isn’t hooking me in.
- Green Arrow #2 was good. It’d be nice if he hooks up with Black Canary and Diggle soon.
Just five issues this week for me… and they are all DC books. And how do I rank them you ask?
Natalie’s Comic Rankings for 6/22/2016
- Flash #1
- Detective Comics #935
- Action Comics #958
- Wonder Woman #1
- Aquaman #1
Flash was my favorite of the week because it felt like it flowed the best. Detective Comics is slowly gaining my interest, but I’m not sure how I feel about the mud room. Action Comics is still holding my interest with the mysteries there. I felt a little lost with the Wonder Woman issue, probably because I’m just not that familiar with her supporting cast. Aquaman felt slow to me and a bit frustrating like you just want them to hurry up and get to something interesting; this title might lose me if they don’t pick up the pace.
On a personal collecting note, I finally spent a day this week trying to gather up all of the comics that are presently in my home and organise them a little in anticipation of starting the cataloging process. — The problem is way worse than I thought… I bought 5 short boxes, 300 bags, and 300 boards to start with. I used them all and still have loose books lying around. I haven’t even gotten over to my parents house to go through those books yet, or the ones in my storage unit. I’m going to go broke just bagging/boarding/boxing them all.